Thursday, December 8, 2011

{diy} appliqued kids shirts





I've been working on a lot of handmade Christmas gifts the last few weeks and I thought I'd share this easy DIY with you. I apologize for the awful pictures. Most of my sewing now happens at night after the little man goes to bed and the lighting is therefore pretty crappy. I hate using the flash even when the lighting is bad since it makes the pictures even worse, in my opinion. 


So I made this cute appliqued shirt and onesie for Logan. 
I already had a set of long sleeved Carter's onesies I got at TJ Maxx a while ago and the shirt was $1.50 on clearance at Target. I also had all of the felt, fabric and iron-on backing on hand. I use the iron-on backing because it makes it so much easier to sew when it is in place and can't move. It also helps to prevent fraying with cotton fabrics. 




1 - get a shirt in the right size and pre-wash.
2 - get some felt or fabric
3 - cut out shapes you want to apply
4 - iron onto the iron-on backing
5 - remove paper backing and iron onto shirts
6 - sew around the shapes in your favorite stitch, do this slowly if you are a beginner and just move your fabric as you go. it also helps to lift your machine's foot a little while you sew or to lower the needle and lift the foot and adjust your shirt when you go around corners. 
7 - i used one of the many stitches I never get to use for anything else to stitch the rain. a straight stitch works perfectly fine if you want to achieve a more simple look.
8 - you are done. now admire your work :) 


For the onesie I cut out a red fabric heart and used felt for the hook. I zigzag stitched around the heart and straight stitched the hook and fishing line. 


3 comments:

  1. Love it, especially the rain cloud! Now that I've got a little boy I'm all about projects for him. Pinning this so I can make one for him too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, these are adorable. I love the rain cloud also. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please comment away.